Monday, September 19, 2011

Nursery wall border



When looking for a border I wanted something bright and kid friendly. I think I got bright :) This is not a tutorial but does give you the general idea how I did this. (I don’t have photos of every step)

What you will need:
-1 package brightly colored paper ( I got the standard letter size packs sold at Hobby Lobby 50% off)
-1 roll wide ribbon that matches the wall color or transparent (again Hobby Lobby 50% off)
-1 stencil set (I got a cardboard ABCs one Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon)
-1-3 sponge craft pant brushes (the cheep ones)
-Coordinating paints (I used the same ones I used to paint the letters spelling the kids names)
-Scissors or scrapbook paper trimmer
-Package glue dots (or glue gun)

Measure the diameter of your room. Determine the size you want the pieces to be and CUT, CUT, CUT. cut enough to place on a ribbon and go around your room and then some. If you have a scrapbooking paper cutter they are great for this project and will help keep your edges nice. {They WILL dull your blade fast} Determine what stamp you want on what color and what order you will need BEFORE stamping. 

Lay out everything and put on your favorite movie. It took my husband and I about two and a half hours to stamp all of the squares. This sounds like a lot but it was a lot of fun. My husband is not huge on crafts but SOMEHOW I got him to sit down to this project. To this day it has been one of my favorite memories. Our son was down for the night and it was just the two of us, a movie and a TON of painting to do... I digress :)

Back to it... Do one paint color at a time, so the paint doesn’t dry. Also, only put a small amount of paint on the plate at a time. Place stencil on square and sponge on paint. Dab DON'T brush. Sit aside to dry and move on... 

Once all of your squares are dry, stack in the determined pattern. Lay ribbon across table. Don't cut the ribbon just move as you place squares on it. 

Place a glue dot (or glue gun dot) on back of square and stick to ribbon. I like the glue dots BUT if you choose to do it with them, use the permanent sticking ones and DONT STRETCH THE RIBBON. You will thank me for this advice later. Continue sticking until you have enough ribbon to go around your room. 


Ta daaaa!!! You have completed your border. Now hanging it. I used tacks. I placed one in the ribbon under the square every 5 foot or so. Again DONT PULL THE RIBBON TAUT. Its okay to pull it so it is straight but don’t over do it. I learned the hard way. The glue dot sticks to the fibers on the ribbon and if stretched will come unglued. 


This makes such a huge difference in a room. I feel like the border in my kids room is like the icing on a cupcake. Sure the cupcake tastes good but it just is not complete with out the icing :)

I hope this was clear enough. Please ask me if you have questions. Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment